Facebook API Shutdown and AMPZ
On August 6 2016 Facebook has shut down their API v2.0. For AMPZ the consequence is that retrieving share counts no longer works. Since version 2.1.3 this issue has been fixed and Facebook share counts are again retrieved. In most cases the only thing to do is update to version 2.1.3 (or higher) and clear cache after updating. However, in some cases this does not work. Mostly these are websites with high traffic. This blog post describes what to do if Facebook share counts are not displayed and you are using version 2.1.3+.
In order to make it work a Facebook access token is required. This token can be retrieved in the following way:
1. Visit https://developers.facebook.com and click on Log In in the top right. Log in using your personal Facebook credentials if you are not logged in yet. If you are logged into Facebook, please continue to step 7.
2. If this is your first time signing in to the Facebook Developer portal then click on Register. Don't worry, this will only take a few minutes. If you’re already registered then you can skip ahead to step 7.
3. Accept the Facebook terms and click next.
4. Enter your phone number to confirm your account.
5. Facebook will send you an automated text message containing a confirmation code. Enter it in the box and click Register.
6. You are now registered as Facebook developer (Yihaaa!). Click done to continue.
7. Hover over to My Apps and and click on Add a New App.
8. Click on For Everything Else
9. Enter your App Name. This can be anything you like. Click Create App ID.
10. Complete the security checks and click Submit.
11. You app is now set up! Head over to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/accesstoken/ to get the actual access token. The page contains a list of all your apps. The token you need is displayed after 'App Token' and is of the form xxxxxx | yyyyyy.
12. Copy the entire token and head over to AMPZ settings -> NETWORKS. Click on blue icon next to Facebook.
12. Paste the access token in the field Facebook Access Token. Clear cache of the website and you should be done! If you are still experiencing issues please get in touch.